A tour company based in Arusha and established in 1986 is looking to recruit a Managing Director. The company activity is tourism mainly in the Northern Circuit and is largely dominated by clients from Scandinavian countries.
Department: Tour Operator
Project Location(s): Arusha, Tanzania
Education: Masters Degree
- To be overall responsible for running of the company and reaching set targets
- Control the direction of the company as agreed with the board
- Be responsible for reaching set targets and KPI’s as defined in company goals
- Develop and execute company strategies as per set vision and plans,
- Generate new business from existing and new clients,
- Initiate changes to improve the business,
- Drive growth and profitability of the company.
- Analyze and interpret trends to facilitate planning,
- Update board on business performance, new initiatives and other relevant issues,
- Maintaining awareness of market trends in the tourism industry, understand forthcoming user/ customer initiatives and monitor what competitors are doing,
- Plan and supervise regional expansion to new markets
- Ensure that all company documents are updated and in order such as business licenses, employee contracts, contracts with advertisers and other business partners
- Oversee employment and ensure there are enough staff and the right people,
- To recruit temporary staff when required for various tasks,
- To consult with the board on the recruitment of permanent staff,
- Ensure all workers contracts are up to date.
- Decide budgets for each area of the company,
- Have complete overview of the company incomes and expenditures,
- Together with accountant keep track of and manage company account and books,
- Oversee closing of yearly accounts,
- Be responsible for setting staff salaries,
- Evaluate pros and cons of current auditor and recommend action.
- Set marketing strategies and budgets to reach set KPI’s,
- Engage with agents to source clients.
Platforms and website functions
- Oversee website and digital communication,
- Suggest and oversee implementation of updates, improvements, changes to various digital platforms.
- Suggest improvements of premises to help generate income,
- Ensure compliance with OSHA and other regulations,
- Report expenses and earnings of the Garage.
Vehicles & Fuel
- Ensure all vehicles are kept in a “ready to go” status (cleaned, fueled & repaired),
- Oversee fuel usage of individual vehicles.
- Set systems to monitor fuel consumption of vehicles.
- English language proficiency foreign language is plus
- A masters in Business Administration or relevant field
- Hands on experience in developing strategic and business plans
- Minimum 10 years in the tourism industry
- In depth knowledge of market changes and forces that influence the company
- Knowledge of East Africa Travel and tourism trends
- Contract duration: Minimum 5 Years
- Proven experience as a leader no less than 5 years,
- Excellent organisational and time management skills,
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills,
- Superior quantitative and qualitative analytical skills,
- Problem solver able to keep calm and efficient under pressure and in crisis.